"KĪLGERRAN ( CĪL-GARON), a parish (formerly an incorporated market town) in the hundred of KĪLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/4 miles (S S.E.) from Cardigan, containing 879 inhabitants. . . It is now only a small village, consisting of one street, about half a mile in length, the houses in which are mean, straggling, and irregularly built, with the church at the western extremity. The river Teivy, which runs on the east and north to its estuary below Cardigan, here winds in beautiful and majestic reaches through the vale to which it gives name, and which at every bend presents some fresh features of novel and picturesque beauty . . . There are extensive slate quarries in the parish, which are actively worked, and enjoy a facility of communication with the sea by means of the Teivy . . . The church, dedicated to St. Llawddog, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, and in tolerably good repair, with a square tower at the western end; in the churchyard there is a rude stone, bearing an inscription now illegible, but evidently a Roman monumental stone. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic Methodists. A school, in which about forty children are instructed, is supported by contributions from the gentry resident in the vicinity. The ruins of the castle rank among the most striking, extensive, and picturesque remains of the ancient fortresses in South Wales . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1708-96, 1806-1992), Marriages (1708-1970), Burials (1708-96, 1806-1961) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-85, 1687, 1689, 1702-3, 1705, 1799-1805, 1807-62, 1871, 1873-80, 1882, 1885-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105135.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Rowlands, Sheila. Pembrokeshire marriages pre-1813: indexes and transcripts. v. 7. Cilgerran Hundred Aberystwyth, S. & J. Rowlands, (1900).
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Cilgerran parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Howard Thomas)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Cilgerran - on Wikipedia
Aerial photograph of Cilgerran Castle, 1992 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Cilgerran Castle - photographs with with brief history on the Aberystwyth.com site
Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are Extracts for Kilgerran
Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are Extracts for Kilgerran
Colyer, Richard. Welsh Cattle Drovers in the Nineteenth Century - 1 National Library of Wales journal. 1972, Winter Volume XVII/4. Here is a short extract; - "...The majority of the cattle were purchased by dealers and drovers at local fairs, many of which were on a vast scale. When the Rev. Evans visited Cilgerran Fair near Cardigan in 1804, he noted that all the fields within three miles of the village were full of cattle, and that, '... the number of cattle, though this was considered a small fair, we were informed exceeded 20,000'. By the close of the 19th century, the summer and autumn fairs of Cilgerran were inundated with drovers intent upon purchasing cattle for the English market. One resident vividly remembers cattle lining the streets from the Rectory to the Station. She remembers also the inconvenience of having to vacate her room in her parent's public house in the village in order that the drovers could be accommodated for the duration of the fair...."
Craster, O. E. (Oswin Edmund) . Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire . London : H.M.S.O., 1957,1960 12p.Series title Ministry of Works official guide-book
Hilling, John B. (John Bryan). Cilgerran Castle, St Dogmaels Abbey, Pentre Ifan burial chamber, Carreg Coetan Arthur burial chamber.Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1992. 52p : col ill, geneal table,maps,plans ; 21cm.
Owen, H. A calendar of the public records relating to Pembrokeshire. Vol 2. The castles, towns, and lordships of Cilgerran and Narberth, Cymmrodorion record series, no. 7. London, Honourable society of Cymmrodorion (1911-1918).
Phillips, J.R. The history of Cilgerran ... : including the topography of the parish ..., London, Russell Smith (1867) xv, 264 p. : pl. p.
Land and Property
Held at the NLW ;
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996