"COEDCANLAIS (COEDCANLASS), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 169 inhabitants. This small parish is situated on the eastern bank of Milford Haven, from which there is a ferry to Llangwm, on the opposite shore, and is five miles distant from Pembroke, across the ferry at Lawrenny. The substratum of the soil is a fine limestone rock, which is quarried to a considerable extent. The living is a donative, annexed to the vicarage of Martletwy: the stipend of the minister is not more than £2. 2. per annum, which is paid by Sir John Owen, Bart. The church is a small picturesque building of great antiquity, repaired a few years ago, at the expense of Sir John Owen. Divine service is only occasionally performed in it, but burials generally, the remaining ecclesiastical rites being celebrated at Martletwy. Here are the ruins of an ancient mansion, which bore the same name as the parish, and belonged to the family of Percival. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £9.15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Begelly with East Williamston and Coedcenlas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
A small ancient parish, its church was rebuilt 1718 after being a ruin for half a century, and was again a ruin by the 1920s. The Parish Registers are included in the parishes of Marletwy and Lawrenny
There are no separate Bishop's Transcripts
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Coedcanlas parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996