GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

DALE

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"DALE, a parish in the hundred of RHS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (S.W. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 335 inhabitants. . . This place is situated on a small bay, forming one side of the entrance into Milford Haven, and affording, in Dale Roads, good anchorage for small vessels, which may ride in safety in two or three fathoms at low water. Block-houses were built here in the reign of Elizabeth, and a chain is said to have been drawn across the mouth of the haven, from St. Anne's to Nangle Point on the opposite side, to obstruct the passage of the Spanish Armada. . . A small fishery is carried on, employing six boats, which are chiefly engaged in taking lobsters, oysters, and herrings, during their respective seasons: there is a small trade in the importation of coal and culm from the interior of the county. . . The surrounding scenery is of a bold and striking character; and from the higher grounds are obtained some extensive and pleasing views over St. George's channel to the south and east, and of the surrounding country to the north. . . The church, dedicated to St. James, and rebuilt in 1761, at the sole expense of John Allen, Esq., is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, and contains an elegant font of marble, presented to the parish by the same beneficent individual. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

DALE, St. James  1903   - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1723-1887), Marriages (1723-1958), Burials (1723-1958) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802-78) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105138.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Dale parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

Dale - on Wikipedia

Dale Castle - on Castle Wales

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

Emigration and Immigration

Lowe, Vera. A Legend Comes to Life. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 6/1 Aug 1997. Devereux family from Dale, Pem to British Columbia.

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

Coastland Local History - covers the areas of Dale, St. Ishmael's, St. Brides and Marloes

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Merchant Marine

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Occupations

Lockley, Ronald . Inland Farm. 1943 (Witherby) 191pp. 22 plates, 13 illus. in text.Account of life on Skokholm during WW II and on.
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.