"EGLWYSWRW (EGLWYS-EIRW), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 Miles (S.S.W.) from Cardigan, on the road to Haverfordwest, containing 563 inhabitants. This parish anciently formed an inferior lordship, dependent on the superior one of Kemmes: it is intersected by the river Nevern, and is included in a very mountainous district, of which the most remarkable summit is that called Percelly forming the centre of a long range extending across the county in a direction from east to west. The summit of this mountain commands a prospect of vast extent over the adjacent country . . . The parish is almost entirely enclosed and under cultivation, and the soil is in general fertile. The village, which is situated near the base of the Percelley mountains, is one of the most pleasing and extensive in this part of the country, and contains a good inn and several respectable houses. The scenery in the neighbourhood is bold, but finely varied, and the hills are richly clothed with wood. . . The church is dedicated to St. Eirw; and in the time of Elizabeth there was a chantry chapel in the churchyard, said to have contained the tomb of this saint. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Christiolus's Church
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Eglwyswrw and Meline from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CMB (1731-9) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 this parish had registers going back to 1685
Parish registers: Christenings (1740-1992), Marriages (1740-1970, 1973-87) Banns (1824-73, 1921-9, 1957-93), Burials (1740-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674, 1676, 1680, 1683-7, 1689, 1703, 1799-1863, 1865-7, 1869-74, 1879-80) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105140.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Eglwyswrw parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
THE DIARY OF KETURAH DAVIES. "Born 5th March 1837, Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire, Wales. Died 30th December 1860, Adelaide, South Australia. A transcript of the original diary written on board the emigrant vessel Schah Jehan which departed from Plymouth, England, 23rd August 1860, and arrived at Port Adelaide, Australia, 2nd December 1860. "
Part of the Welsh Family History Archive
Lewis, E.T. North of the hills; a history of the parishes of Eglwyswen, Eglwyswrw, Llanfair Nantgwyn, Meline, Nevern. (1973) viii, 309,  p.,  p. of plates. illus., facsims., map, ports. [ISBN: 0902126032]
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996