"HARROLDSTON (ST. ISSELS), or EAST HARROLDSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2mile (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 304 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated on the bank of the western Cleddau, appears to have derived its name from Harold,the founder of an ancient family of distinction, that for several generations occupied an old seat here, which, by marriage with Alice, daughter and sole heiress of Sir Richard Harold, passed to the family of Perrot, ancestors of Sir John Perrot, Lord Deputy of Ireland in the reign of Elizabeth, and first high sheriffof this county, who was a native of this place: the ancient mansion is now in a very dilapidated condition. Fern Hill, the seat of Sir Henry Matthias, Knt., is pleasantly situated on the bank of the river Cleddau, and surrounded by thriving plantations. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of James Higgon, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Ishmael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The hermitage of St. Caradoc, it is said, was in this parish; and on the common within the limits of which the Haverfordwest races are held is a well, still called St. Caradoc's Well, round which, till within the last few years, a pleasure fair, or festival, was annually held, for the celebration of rustic sports. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £50. 14." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Freystrop with Haroldston St Issell from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CMB (1765-[1812?]) recorded in 1933 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1990), Marriages (1814-1969), Burials (1813-98) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1798-1802, 1807, 1809-57, 1859-70) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105142
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Haroldston St Issels parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.170-176.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Turvey, Roger. Under the Hammer:Selling Haroldston, the sale of the mansion house and estate, 1857 (NLW's site) Pemb Historian XIV
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996