"HARROLDSTON (WEST), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 51/2 miles (W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 155 inhabitants. This place, distinguished by its adjunct from Harroldston East, or St. Issels, like it derives its name from an ancient Anglo-Norman proprietor, who, as well as his successors, was lord paramount over several manors in this part of the principality: the residence of these lords was at this place, which, from the foundations of ancient buildings still remaining, appears to have been formerly of much greater extent than at present. The parish is finely situated on the eastern shore of St. Bride's bay, in St. George's channel, and comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is richly diversified, and the views from the higher grounds embrace extensive prospects over the channel and the adjacent country, which abounds with picturesque beauty. The parish rates are collected by the ploughland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Madoc, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £47.18." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Haroldston West with Lambston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1748-1991), Marriages (1751-86, 1813-1959), Burials (1750-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-1, 1803-18, 1820-46, 1849) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105142.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Haroldston West parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996