"The town and county of the town comprise the whole of the parish of St. Mary, and part of the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin, together with a very small part of the parish of Prendergast, and a large extra-parochial area called "Poor-field;" the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin also comprise divisions respectively called the hamlets of St. Thomas and St. Martin, which are within the hundred of Rhôs . . . The living of St. Martin's is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Hugh Webb Bowen, Esq. The church, supposed to be the most ancient in the town, is a venerable structure, displaying portions in the early style of English architecture, with a low tower surmounted by an elegant spire: it consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle, but has suffered so extensively by the insertion of windows and other alterations, that little of its original character remains: the nave and chancel are long and lofty, and are separated by a fine old arch, which reaches to the roof; in the chancel, on the southern side, are some ancient stalls in recesses. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Smith, David. They did it their way : the story of St. Martin of Tours, Haverfordwest. St. Martin of Tours Parochial Church Council, 1992. 106p
Parish registers: Christenings (1721-36, 1745-85, 1793-1887), Marriages (1721-1917) Banns (1824-1952), Burials (1721-36, 1745-85, 1793-1974) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1722-1812) M (1729-1884) B (1721-1839) at NLW and Pem.RO
Mf copy ms PR CB (1745-73) M (1745-72) [Cardiff Central Library MS.2.116] at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-7, 1809-19, 1823-71) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 1238658.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833):
"SKOMAR, a small island forming a detached portion of the parish of ST. MARTIN, HAVERFORDWEST, situated on St. Bride's Point, from which it is separated by a strait called Jack Sound. It lies nearly due north of the islet of Skokham, from which it is separated by a strait, a mile and a half in breadth, called Broad Sound; and comprises about seven hundred acres, of which a considerable portion is under tillage. It abounds with rabbits, has an abundance of freshwater, and is based on limestone, of which there are various detached rocks on its shores, the principal of which is Midland Isle, lying in Jack Sound: the whole is let to a resident tenant."
Places, villages, farms etc within Haverfordwest St Martin parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Buxton, John/Lockley, R M. Island of Skomar. London, 1950.
Howells, Roscoe Cliffs of Freedom: The Story of Skomer Island and the last man to farm it . 1961 2nd ed. (Llandysul).155pp. 29 b/w photo illus. maps on endpapers.
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996