"The town and county of the town comprise the whole of the parish of St. Mary, and part of the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin, together with a very small part of the parish of Prendergast, and a large extra-parochial area called "Poor-field;" the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin also comprise divisions respectively called the hamlets of St. Thomas and St. Martin, which are within the hundred of Rhôs . . . The living of St. Mary's is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's . . . The church, situated at the upper end of High-street, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a low tower, which was anciently surmounted by a spire of elegant proportion. The interior consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle: the nave is lofty, and ceiled with panelled oak, richly ornamented with carving; it is lighted on each side by a range of clerestory windows, of various character, and is separated from the chancel by a lofty pointed arch, supported by clustered columns, and from the north aisle by a series of similar arches of lower elevation, resting on clustered columns having capitals richly ornamented with sculpture. The east windows of the chancel are lofty, and highly enriched with tracery; and the windows of the north aisle, which are similarly embellished, are of good proportion and elegant design. There are several good monuments, and in the chancel are some of splendid character, to the memory of various members of the family inheriting the neighbouring seat of Picton Castle. . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest
Medieval wood carvings from St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest - on the People's Collection Wales site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Barker, Patricia. A History of St Mary's Parish Church, Haverfordwest in the Nineteenth century. Published by the Friends of St Mary's, 2003. Reviewed by Vera Lowe in Dyfed FHS journal , Vol 8/2 April 2003
Barker, P A. History of St. Mary's Parish Church in the 19th.c
The story of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Haverfordwest 10th ed. Gloucester: Brt.Publishing Co , 20p
Warren, Fred J. The History and Antiquities of St Mary's Haverfordwest. 1914
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1602-43, 1678-1725, 1728-1955), Marriages (1600-48, 1686, 1699-1706, 1716-23, 1728-1965) Banns (1754-1967), Burials (1590-1643, 1683-1706, 1716-24, 1728-1966) at Pem.RO. Mf copy (1590-1644, 1713-25) at NLW
Copy ms/ts PR (1590-1812) at NLW
Copy ms/ts PR (1594-1850) incomplete and partly with index, at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1801, 1804-6, 1808-82) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105104.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Held at Pembrokeshire Archives
Places, villages, farms etc within Haverfordwest St Mary's parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Voting Registers for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1818096
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996