GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

HENRY'S MOAT [CASTELLHENRI]

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"HENRY'S MOAT, a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 10 1/2 miles (N.E. by N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 282 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from an ancient tumulus in the form of a truncated cone, surrounded by a moat, and in all probability formerly surmounted by a military work, called by the Welsh Castell Hn-drv, or "the castle of the old town," which name has been corrupted by the English settlers in this part of the principality into its present appellation. The lands in this parish are for the greater part enclosed, and in a good state of cultivation; and considerable portions of unenclosed land, consisting chiefly of heath and turbaries, afford pasturage for sheep, and supply the principal fuel of the inhabitants. The soil is various, being rich and fertile in the lower and cultivated grounds, but in other parts of the parish poor and unproductive. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature. is generally pleasing; and the views over the adjacent country are interesting, and in some instances extensive. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5. 6. 8., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Colonel Scourfield. The church, dedicated to St. Bernard, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 112. 5." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Henry's Moat with Castle Bythe(R D of Fishguard) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

A note written on the front cover of PR B (1813-1986) states that PR CB (1715-1813) was extant in 1844

Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1993), Marriages (1755-1970), Burials (1813-1986) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-84, 1686, 1689, 1799, 1803-5, 1807-16, 1818-37, 1839-48, 1850, 1853, 1855, 1858-9, 1861-7, 1871, 1874, 1878-89, 1897-1906) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105144.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Henry's Moat parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

Genealogy

Pembrokeshire Families

 

Phillips, Frank . The Phillips family of Maenclochog and Henry's Moat

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.