We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"HUBBERSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (W. by N.) from Milford, on the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Haking, or Old Milford, containing 1013 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a creek or inlet of Milford Haven . . . Boat-building is carried on to a considerable extent at Haking, or Old Milford, and affords employment to a few of the inhabitants of this place, which is now included within the boundaries of the new contributory borough of Milford. . . The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small, ancient, and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower: in the chancel are three elegantly canopied recesses, probably for the officiating priests, or perhaps appropriated to the dignitaries of the priory on particular occasions. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304/5
- 1891 Census - 6099643-5
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- Hubberston Parish Church O Leach, Rector
- Rehoboth CM Erected in 1840 "Our Sunday School and congregation varies, sometimes a good many Sailors, at other times few or none" David Vaughan, Elder
Parish entry for Hubberston with Hakin from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- St David
- Mission Church (Hakin)
- Incumbent and Curates; John Caleb Hughes
- Rural Deanery of Roose
- Acreage 1,274; Population 1,844
Parish registers: Christenings (1702-1970), Marriages (1702-1986) Banns (1783-1869) Hakin , St Mary (1955-70) Banns (1956-75), Burials (1702-1958) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800, 1803-4, 1807-9, 1811-59, 1862-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105145.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Rehoboth [Calvinistic Methodists, 1840], Hill St, Hakin Records ; Account book of expenses incurred in building, 1839-48, and in repairing the chapel, 1861, at NLW Ms 18871A 2. Account book, 1845-52, NLW Ms 17274 SM8974905820 Built 1840, renovated 1865, 1883, 1901-3, 1906 Coflein On Dyfed FHS Rehoboth, 5 Lower Hill Street, Hakin, Milford Haven - still open in 2006
- Hakin, near Milford Haven [Wesleyan Methodists, 1832]. Records ; See Wesleyan Chapel, Milford Haven/Steynton parish. See also Wesleyan Chapel, Haverfordwest/St Martins. Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuit ; baptismal registers, 1842-1934, circuit schedule and plans, quarterly minutes, accounts 1889-1980 at Pem RO [DFC/M/9] On Dyfed FHS
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Description and Travel
Places, villages, farms etc within Hubberston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Hubberston (103); Gelliswick, Gelliswick Bay, Hakin, Hubberston, Liddeston, Long Stone (ancient monument), St.Botolphs
You can see pictures of Hubberston which are provided by:
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Hamilton and Greville families, collection 1581, 1618, 1760-1813 "Sir William Hamilton (1730-1803) acquired his estates in Pembrokeshire through his marriage to Catherine Barlow, daughter and heiress of Huw Barlow of Lawrenny Hall, Pembrokeshire. In 1790 Sir William obtained a private act of parliament enabling him to develop his property in the manors of Hubberston and Pill, in order to build quays, docks, piers, establish a market and provide roads into what eventually came to be Milford Haven. He made his nephew Charles Greville responsible for the enterprise and after Sir William's death the estate passed to Charles ............................."
You can see the administrative areas
in which Hubberston has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.185-192.
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM891062 (Lat/Lon: 51.714737, -5.054439), Hubberston which are provided by: