GENUKI Home page up Hubberston Contents Contents

 

HUBBERSTON

From

From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

HUBBERSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (W. by N.) from Milford, on the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Haking, or Old Milford, containing 1013 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a creek or inlet of Milford Haven, at the upper end of which are the remains of a religious establishment, formerly called Pill priory, built upon a pill which separates this parish from that of Steynton, and which, though it has obtained the name of Hubberston priory, is locally within the latter parish. Botolphs, the seat of Anthony Innes Stokes, Esq., an elegant modern mansion, erected on the site of some of the conventual buildings of the priory, though not within this parish, closely borders upon it, and is equally remarkable for the style of the building and the beauty of its situation, commanding a pleasing view of the haven, and of the adjacent country. Boat-building is carried on to a considerable extent at Haking, or Old Milford, and affords employment to a few of the inhabitants of this place, which is now included within the boundaries of the new contributory borough of Milford. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 2. 8. 1/2, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small, ancient, and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower: in the chancel are three elegantly canopied recesses, probably for the officiating priests, or perhaps appropriated to the dignitaries of the priory on particular occasions. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists; and a spacious building has been left by its late proprietor for the free use of ministers of every denomination. Mr. George Roch, in 1707, bequeathed a small rent-charge for teaching poor children, and for the relief of distressed housekeepers of the parish; and in 1752, Mr. James Allen bequeathed £50 in money, to be invested in the purchase of land, and the produce to be annually distributed among the poor: these bequests produce about £6 per annum. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £184. 6.

Gareth Hicks, 23 Dec 1999

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.