Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LAMBSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 286 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the western part of the county, and at no great distance from St. Bride's bay, comprises a considerable tract of enclosed and cultivated land, with an extensive common, and is intersected by a small rivulet, which falls into the western Cleddau. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a place of worship open to dissenters of every denomination. A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is supported at the expense of the incumbent. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £66. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099647
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- Lambston Parish Church Francis Thomas, Perpetual Curate
Parish entry for Haroldston West with Lambston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- St Madoc
- St Ishmael (Lambston)
- Incumbent and Curates; V B Morris
- Rural Deanery of Roose
- Acreage 1,764 & 1,813; Population 330
Parish registers: Christenings (1737-1991), Marriages (1741-1968) Banns (1755-1833), Burials (1737-1957) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-41, 1843, 1845, 1849, 1868) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105148.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Bethel Sutton Baptist chapel, Lambston SM90921633 Built 1837-39 Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
- Portfield Gate Wesleyan chapel, Lambston SM91641558 Built 1835, renovated 1875 & 1926 Not still open 1992 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
- The Mount, East Hook Quaker Burial Ground, Lambston SM91551684 First deed of 1716? Coflein
- Sutton Friends Burial Ground SM91681650 Iron plate at entrance with date 1661, last used 1889 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
- The above 2 entries may well refer to the same place despite the OS grid difference
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Lambston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Lambston (74); Corner Fm., East Hook, Honey Hook, Lambston, Sutton, Sutton Lodge, Sutton Mountain, Walesland, West Lambston.
You can see pictures of Lambston which are provided by:
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Dec 2012]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM906169 (Lat/Lon: 51.811370, -5.039208), Lambston which are provided by: