LAMPETER-VELVREY (LLAN-BEDR-VELVRE), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E.) from Narberth, containing 984 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the rich and fertile vale of Lampeter, and on the south side of the river Marlais, extends for nearly six miles from east to west, and about three miles from north to south. . . Limestone is found here in abundance, and is quarried for building purposes, and also burnt into lime as a manure for the supply of the surrounding country. . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure, consisting of two aisles separated by plain pointed arches. In the north aisle is an altar-tomb to a member of the family of Philipps, of Lampeter House, which seat is now the property and residence of Captain Twyning. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is supported by subscription. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Pether (Llanbedr Felffre)
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CB (1779-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1923), Marriages (1755-1980) Banns (1853-1919, 1931-47) Princes Gate (1949-64) Banns (1948-71), Burials (1813-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677, 1679, 1681, 1686, 1698-9, 1720-2, 1724-5, 1727, 1729, 1735, 1737-43, 1763-70, 1774-6, 1780, 1782-4, 1786-9, 1793-9, 1803-81, 1885-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105148.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Lampeter Velfrey parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Morris, M G R Tavernspite: a meeting of the ways (NLW's site) Pemb Historian V
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Morris, M G R Lampeter Velfrey, A history of the village 2007
Chancellor Geoffrey Morris retired as Rector of Lampeter Velfrey in 2008, he also published a short illustrated guide to St Peter's (and another to St David's, Llanddewi Velfrey, where he was Vicar from 1974). He has a huge amount of information, partially written up on computer, having researched local history for nearly forty years. Copies of the village history are obtainable from him (£5 + postage) at Greenfield Cottage, Lampeter Velfrey, Narberth, Pembs, SA67 8UL, telephone 01834 831241.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at the NLW ;
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996