GENUKI Home page up Lampeter Velfrey Contents Contents

 

LAMPETER VELFREY

From

From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

LAMPETER-VELVREY (LLAN-BEDR-VELVRE), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E.) from Narberth, containing 984 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the rich and fertile vale of Lampeter, and on the south side of the river Marlais, extends for nearly six miles from east to west, and about three miles from north to south. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied and the parish, which is of considerable antiquity, contains several objects of interest to the antiquary. Limestone is found here in abundance, and is quarried for building purposes, and also burnt into lime as a manure for the supply of the surrounding country. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure, consisting of two aisles separated by plain pointed arches. In the north aisle is an altar-tomb to a member of the family of Philipps, of Lampeter House, which seat is now the property and residence of Captain Twyning. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is supported by subscription. John Jones, M.D., in 1698, bequeathed certain lands and tenements for the relief of poor families, and for apprenticing poor children of the parishes of Lawrenny, Cosheston, St.David's, and Lampeter-Velvrey, now producing a considerable sum annually, which is distributed in proportion to the number of deserving objects in the different parishes. A posting inn at the entrance of the county from Carmarthen, distinguished by the name Tavern spite, occupies the site of tile ancient "Taverne y spitty," an hospitium formerly belonging to Whitland abbey, upon the bank of the river Tâf; and Blaengwyddnoe, now a farm-house, was the grange of that religious establishment. To the south-west of the latter place are some very extensive earthworks, called Castel Meherin, on the summit of a high ridge commanding a full view of the sea, and forming one of a chain of forts continued in a north-westerly direction along this part of the coast; and in a field adjoining the turnpike road, a little to the north-east, are two semicircular embankments, commanding the passage of three several valleys. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £331.3.

Gareth Hicks, 28 Dec 1999

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.