GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents



"LAMPHEY, called by the Welsh LLANFYDD, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E.) from Pembroke, on the road to Tenby, containing 436 inhabitants. This place, which takes its name from the dedication of its church to St. Faith, was among the first of those in South Wales in which the early Normans obtained a settlement. . . Indications of coal have been observed in this parish, from which it is concluded that strata of this fossil here extend in a direction from north-east to south-west, but no attempt has hitherto been made to work it: limestone is found in great abundance and of excellent quality, and a considerable quantity is quarried for building purposes, and also burnt into lime. . . The church, dedicated to St. Faith, was thoroughly repaired in 1826, partly by subscription . . . A National school has been established, for which a commodious school-room, with a neat cottage for the residence of the master and mistress, was erected in 1828, by subscription, aided by a grant of 70 from the parent society, with which this school has been incorporated. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

LAMPHEY, St. Tyfei    1827-1829   - on the Church plans online site

Monkton Rectorial Benefice

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants


Parish entry for Lamphey and Hodgeston from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Radford, C. A. Ralegh, (Courtenay Arthur Ralegh). The Bishop's Palace, Lamphey, Dyfed = Llys Llandyfai. Publisher Scotland : H.M.S.O., 1981. Description 9[1]p : plan . A full account of the accessible parts of the palace is published in Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1938, pp1-14.

Turner, Rick. Lamphey Bishop's Palace : Llawhaden Castle : Carswell Medieval House, Carew Cross .Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1991. 52p

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1776-1883), Marriages (1755-1975), Burials (1776-1962) at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-75, 1877-8, 1880-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105148.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels: None found

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Lamphey parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

Three Pembrokeshire Villages - Lamphey, Hodgeston & Freshwater East . Includes a brief history section


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.


Pembrokeshire Families


There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..


Hughes, Basil         Jottings on the History of Pembrokshire Lamphey, Hodgeston, Freshwater East [Kindle Edition 2013]

Van Dulken, Steve. Lamphey and India    (NLW's site)   Pemb Historian V

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.