"LAWRENNY (LAWRENNEY), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Pembroke, containing 422 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a branch of Milford Haven, over which it has a ferry, and comprises a large portion of enclosed and well cultivated land. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some parts enriched with noble plantations. . . Limestone, both for building and to be burned for manure, abounds in this parish and the quarrying and burning of it affords employment to a portion of the inhabitants, a great number of whom are also engaged, during the winter season, in dredging for oysters, which are found here in great abundance, and conveyed principally to the London market, in boats from Chatham and Rochester, for the loading of which the coast affords every facility. . . The church dedicated to St.Caradoc, is a venerable cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture, with an elegant square embattled tower, which is seen to great advantage from almost every side, rising above the rich foliage by which the body is concealed. . . There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1708-1895), Marriages (1717-1970) Banns (1824-1919), Burials (1717-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR (1716-1837) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1800, 1808-9, 1811-16, 1818-37, 1839-60, 1862-4, 1866-9, 1871,1873-5) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105149.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Lawrenny parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Lawrenny Castle by C S Allen c1880 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at the NLW ;
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996