GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

LETTERSTON [TRELETERT]

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LETTERSON, LETTARDSTON, or LETTERSTON, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES,10 Miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 493 inhabitants. This place derived its name from the ancient family of the Lettards, to whom the parish anciently belonged, and who gave the advowson of the living, together with the chapel of Llanvair, to the preceptory of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, which had been founded at Slebech, in this county. The parish is pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, and is intersected by the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Fishguard. The surrounding scenery is pleasing, and in certain places somewhat picturesque: the distant views embrace an extensive tract of finely diversified and richly cultivated country. In the vicinity are some handsome seats and pleasing villas :and within the parish is Heathfield Lodge, the property of John Hill Harris, Esq., of Priskilly Forest, and now the residence of that gentleman's brother-in-law, William. Jones, Esq. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llanvair-Nant-y-Gove annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 12. 11. 0 1/2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Giles is not remarkable for any striking architectural features. The rectory house has been recently rebuilt, under the provisions of Gilbert's act of parliament, by the present incumbent, and is a handsome edifice. In this parish, on a common near the road, are several tumuli, supposed to be sepulchral. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 65.12." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

LETTERSTON, St. Giles  1843-1844    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Letterston with Llanfair Nantygof from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Church Records

The earliest registers reputedly destroyed at the time of the French invasion 1797 [1831 survey]. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back only 36 years.

Parish registers: Christenings (1801-1975), Marriages (1801-1992) Banns (1801-1941), Burials (1801-1976) at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1813-70) at NLW

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1773, 1799, 1802-65, 1886-9, 1891) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105149.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Letterston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

Letterston Today. The County Echo site which also features the following articles ;

Genealogy

Davies, C T.  Davies of Letterston. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/13. The author explores the reasons for his ancestors migrating to Blaengarw, Glamorganshire, in the late 19th century

Bosworth, Nikki. A Court Leet held for the Purpose of Defining the Boundary of Letterson Common.   Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/5 Aug 2001. A short article but with a list of people living in Letterston in 1780.

History

Letterston War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Poor Law records for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 0104230

 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.