"LLANDEWI-VELVREY (LLAN-DDEWI-VEL-VRE), a parish principally in the hundred of NARBERTH, but partly in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Narberth, containing 710 inhabitants. This place is situated in a rich and fertile vale, watered by the river Tâf, which separates the parish from that of Llangan in the county of Carmarthen. The lands are wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is eminently fertile. The neighbourhood abounds with pleasing and interesting scenery, and is enlivened with several gentlemen's seats, of which the principal are Trewern, the residence of John Thomas Benyon, Esq.; and Hênllan the seat of John Lewis, Esq. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's: the former, which is a sinecure, is rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Principal and Tutors of St. David's College, Lampeter: the vicarage, which is discharged, is rated at £7. 9. 4 1/2., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes of the entire parish are equally divided between the rector and the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. David, is remarkable for the simplicity of its architecture, and displays evident features of a very remote antiquity: an elegant mural tablet of white marble, to the memory of the late David Lewis, Esq., of Hênllan and his youngest daughter, has lately been put up in the chancel by his widow. The vicarage house has been nearly rebuilt on an enlarged scale by the present incumbent, under the provisions of an act of parliament, commonly called Gilbert's Act. A schoolhouse, built at the expense of the parish in 1828, is at present occupied by one of Mrs. Bevan's circulating charity schools. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £331. 3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for Ffynnon Baptist Chapel and Trefangor have been indexed by the Dyfed FHS.
Trefangor Baptist Burial Ground, Llanddewi Velfrey SN131170 Believed to be still open (2013)
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by the Dyfed FHS.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Ddewi Welffri
Parish entry for Llanddewi Velfrey with Crinow (R D of Narberth) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1727-70, 1778-1992), Marriages (1727-1970), Burials (1727-70, 1778-1990) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1676, 1680-7, 1689, 1697-9, 1702-3, 1705-8, 1713, 1717, 1724-6, 1728-30, 1732-85, 1790-6, 1798-1800, 1802-3, 1806-7, 1809-39, 1841-73, 1876-8, 1880) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105161.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddewi Velfrey parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Lewis, T.E., Jones, J.T. and Lewis, H. Local heritage from Efailwen to Whitland: comprising the history of the parishes of Climaenllwyd, Hellanfallteg, Llanboidy, Llandysilio, Llanddewi Velfrey, Whitland 2 vols), Clunderwen, The Author (1976). [ISBN: 0902126059 (v. 2)]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Oct 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996