GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

LLANFYRNACH

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANVYRNACH (LLAN-VRYNACH), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S.W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, containing 979 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is situated in the north eastern part of the county, bordering upon Carmarthenshire, and comprises an extensive tract of land, of which the greater portion is enclosed and cultivated. . . On the banks of the river Tāf, and at no great distance from its source, are some extensive lead mines, which were formerly worked with great success; but for some years the works have been suspended. . . The church, dedicated to St. Brynach, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

James, J Lloyd. Hanes Eglwys Glandwr o'r Cychwyniad yn Nghyda Hanes dechreuol yr Eglwys a Cychwynodd [ History of Glandwr Church from The Beginning Together With an Initial History of the Church and its {rogress]. merthyr Tydfil, The Tyst Office, 1902

Church Records

Diocesan records suggest that c1790 this parish had registers going back to 1714

Parish registers: Christenings (1765-1993), Marriages (1754-1968, 1973-94) Banns (1823-44, 1908-56), Burials (1765-1992) at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR C (1765-1993) M (1754-1968) B (1765-1992) at SOG

Copy ts C (1813-1992) B (1813-1993) with index at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-6, 1678-83, 1685-8, 1703, 1799-1813, 1815-20, 1823-63, 1865-7, 1869-71, 1875-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105170.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfyrnach parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

Hermon, Glogue and Llanfyrnach   "Hermon is a small village of about 100 households situated about 10 miles south of Cardigan, 1.8miles off the A478 at Crymych The village is in the parish of Llanfyrnach.............."

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

Lewis (Mynachlog-ddu), E.T. Llanfyrnach Parish Lore. Printed by C.I. Thomas, Haverfordwest. 143p. [A comprehensive parish history of 143 pages with photos , contains all sorts of snippets relating to the churches, schools, industry, tradespeople, place-names, incomes, prices, etc. and 18 pages of brief biographical notes on selected individuals, mostly from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Here is an index by Peter Jones

Thomas, J H          The diaries of a Pembrokeshire man, 1876-1905 [David Williams]        The Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society, No.4 1990/91     Welsh Journals Online

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Occupations

Llanfyrnach Silver-Lead Mine circa 1752 to 1890  ; based on a presentation and display for the Local History Festival, Llanfyrnach Parish Church, 8 April 1999. Well worth a visit, includes personal names.
"The Llanfyrnach Silver Lead Mine is situated on either side of the Afon Taf 650 metres north east of Llanfyrnach Parish Church, near Crymych, and is partially within Clydey parish at NGR SN 225316......................"
See also the diaries of Williams,  David,  a carpenter working for Lewis Evans at the Llanfyrnach Mine. The diaries have been published in part in Clebran (papur bro'r Preseli) Rhif 235, Ionawr 1996.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional