"LLANGOLMAN (LLAN-GOLMAN), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N.) from Narberth, containing 311 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Golman, is pleasantly situated on the Eastern Cleddy river, and in the eastern extremity of the county, bordering on Carmarthenshire. The eastern part of it is intersected by the river, and the northern by the turnpike road leading from Fishguard to Narberth: the whole forms a considerable extent of arable and pasture land. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and the views over the adjacent country embrace some interesting features. Slate of good quality is found within the parish, and some quarries are worked upon in extensive scale, affording employment to such of the inhabitants as are not engaged in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Llandilo, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty. The church is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £59. 9." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
St Colman's Church - on the West Preseli Group of Churches site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Mynachlogddu with Llangolman from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1985), Marriages (1755-1958), Burials (1813-1991) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1762-1812) M (1824-30) B (1776-1811) at NLW
Copy ts PR C (1813-1971) B (1813-1977) with index at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1807, 1809-37, 1840-52, 1854-9, 1861) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105173.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llangolman parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996