"LLANGWM (LLAN-GWM), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 697 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the church in the vale," is pleasantly situated on the western bank of Milford Haven, about the same distance from Pembroke as from Haverfordwest. . . At the village, which extends along the shore, is a horse ferry to the parish of Coedcanlais. The inhabitants are principally engaged in a lucrative oyster fishery . . . Coal and culm are found here in great abundance: the mines are worked by Sir John Owen, Bart., who is the principal proprietor, and the produce is shipped at Hook Quay, for the supply of the neighbouring districts. . . The church, dedicated to St. Hierom, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments, among which are several to the memory of the family of Roch. There is a place of worship for Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Llangwm Parish Church Thomas Williams, Rector
Llangum chapel Wesleyan Erected in 1822 John Styrme, Steward
Mount Zion United Reformed, Hook SM97801152 Built in 1852 and restored in 1926. Still open 1993 Shown as Congregational. and linked to Salem name Coflein On Dyfed FHS
Hook Gospel Mission, West Hook, Llangwm SM978114 Later-C20 structure. Still open 1993 Coflein
Chapel , in Llangwm village [Wesleyan Methodists, 1822]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits ; baptismal registers, 1842-1934, circuit schedule and plans , quarterly minutes, accounts, 1889-1980, at Pem RO [DFC/M/9] SM99020947 Built 1822, rebuilt 1897 Still open 2000 Coflein See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph On Dyfed FHS
Pembrokeshire Coalfield (Hook Colliery) Papers 1907-1957 (mainly 1932-1957) (accumulated [c. 1948]-1957) "Hook Colliery, Llangwm, Pembrokshire, was opened in 1850, and operated until 1947.........."
Harcourt Roberts papers 1817-1948 "T. W. Harcourt Roberts was the general manager of Hook Colliery in the mid 20th century. The Roberts family lived on the Little Milford Estate in Freystrop, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire............"