GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

LLANGWM

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANGWM (LLAN-GWM), a parish in the hundred of RHS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 697 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the church in the vale," is pleasantly situated on the western bank of Milford Haven, about the same distance from Pembroke as from Haverfordwest. . . At the village, which extends along the shore, is a horse ferry to the parish of Coedcanlais. The inhabitants are principally engaged in a lucrative oyster fishery . . . Coal and culm are found here in great abundance: the mines are worked by Sir John Owen, Bart., who is the principal proprietor, and the produce is shipped at Hook Quay, for the supply of the neighbouring districts. . . The church, dedicated to St. Hierom, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments, among which are several to the memory of the family of Roch. There is a place of worship for Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

LLANGWM, St. Jerome   1879-1882    - on the Church plans online site

 See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Dickman, H.J. "Within these walls": the story of Hill Mountain and Llangwm Wesley Methodist Churches in the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuit, Haverfordwest, J.W. Hammond (1981) 51 p.

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1716-1949), Marriages (1716-1966) Banns (1811-18, 1865-1948), Burials (1716-1949) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-83) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105174.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangwm parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

Llangwm village site - with photographs

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

History

Fisherwoman from Llangwm, Pembrokeshire, early C20th    - on the People's Collection Wales site

Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.193-195.

Hughes, Basil.       Jottings Pembrokeshire Burton, Freystrop and Llangwn Parishes. [Kindle Edition 2013]

Thomas, W. Grenville, (William Grenville) . Llangwm essays and sketches .Publisher [Milford Haven] : [W. Grenville Thomas], 1992. 64p

Thomas, W. Grenville, (William Grenville) Llangwm through the ages. [Milford Haven] : [W. Grenville Thomas], [1991] 67p

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.