"LLANHOWEL (LLAN-HOWEL), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (E. by N.) from St. David's, containing 186 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, and nearly in the centre of a peninsula stretching into St. George's channel, and terminating in the promontory called St. David's Head. The surrounding scenery is pleasing, but not characterized by any peculiarity of feature. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Llandeloy annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Upper Chapter of the cathedral church of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Hoel, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £68. 16." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Llanhowel Church - on the geograph.org.uk site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llanhowel with Carnhedryn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1797-1993) Carnhedryn (1880-1921), Marriages (1796-1837) Banns (1823-1956) Carnhedryn (1881-1906), Burials (1797-1985) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1838-94) M (1805-82) B (1826-1902) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1841, 1843-4, 1846, 1848-69, 1872-3) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105176.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanhowel parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996