"LLANLLAWER (LLAN-LLAWEN), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E.S. E.) from Fishguard, containing 123 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated in the northern part of the county, and on the river Gwayn, which falls into Fishguard bay: it is only of small extent, and nearly one-third is mountainous, the remainder being enclosed and cultivated. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, combining features of picturesque beauty with mountains of rugged aspect; and the distant views extend over a remarkably interesting tract of country. Court House, in this Parish, the seat of Mrs. Gwynne, is a good family mansion, occupying a pleasant situation. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Llanerchllwydog, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church is not remarkable for any architectural details. On the side of Llanllawer mountain, which terminates in a rocky point, and is hence called the Maiden's Breast, numerous Druidical relics and carneddau are profusely scattered, which are supposed to have been places of ancient sepulture; and adjoining is a mineral well, formerly in high repute for its efficacy in the cure of ague and other diseases, but now neglected. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £38. 9." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Redundant Church at Llanllawer - on the geograph.org.uk site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Dinas and Llanllawer from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers : Christenings (1770-1968), Marriages (1781-1964), Burials (1770-1968) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops Transcripts for this parish, see Llanychlwydog parish, have the LDS Call Number: 0105186.
Copy printed BT CMB (1674-5, 1680-9, 1699) and PR CB (1771-1812) M (1781-1812) [ed Rev J Meredith Williams, Fishguard, 1925]
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanllawer as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Tony Morris)
Llanllawer well - on the geograph.org.uk site
Jones, Francis A Pembrokeshire squarson [Rev Thomas Gwynne Mortimer] The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 5 1974 Welsh Journals Online
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996