"LLANRIAN (LLAN-RHIAN), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.E.) from St. David's, containing 715 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the north-western extremity of the county, and on the coast of St. George's channel, by which it is bounded on the west and north: the surrounding scenery is pleasing, and the views over the channel and the adjacent country are interesting and. extensive. It constitutes a prebend in the cathedral church of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £19. 9. 7., and annexed to the archdeaconry of Carmarthen. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 11. 3., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St.Rheanus, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Near the church are some Druidical remains, consisting of many large stones, most of which are now broken: they were formerly erect, and, in their arrangement and general appearance, formed in miniature, according to Mr. Fenton, a tolerably correct representation of Stonehenge. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £264." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
MIs by Dyfed FHS for Llanrhian, Croesgoch, The Baptist Chapel [Old Cemetery].
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Rhiain
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
A few entries CMB (1686-) included in earliest extant PR
Parish registers: Christenings (1729-1957), Marriages (1729-1970) Banns (1878-1905), Burials (1729-1993) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1686-1812, extracts to 1903), M (1729-1807, extracts to 1862) B (1731-1812, extracts to 1880) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1739, 1798-1801, 1803, 1806-79) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105180.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanrhian parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
See Not everyone knows this for coverage of the slate industry in Llanrhian, under " Slate Quarrying in Pembrokeshire".
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996