"LLANSTADWELL (LLAN-STADWELL), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Milford, containing 733 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the northern shore of Milford Haven, comprises a considerable tract of fertile and well-cultivated land, with some portions of hilly ground, which, from its steepness, is but ill adapted to repay the expense and labour of cultivation. . . The surrounding scenery is finely varied, combining the fine expanse of water in the haven on the south, and the spacious open channel on the west, with extensive tracts of richly cultivated country on the north and east. . . The church, dedicated to St. Tudwal, is an ancient structure in good repair, pleasantly situated on the margin of the haven, in the southern part of the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Some remains of two ancient British encampments, comprising each an area of about one acre, are visible: one is situated at the north-eastern extremity of the parish, nearly opposite the village of Rhôsmarket and the other at its south-western extremity, on a point on the shore of Milford Haven. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
NEYLAND, St. Clement 1929-1931 - on the Church plans online site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1714-1948), Marriages (1714-1892), Burials (1714-1941) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-3, 1805-7, 1809-13, 1818, 1820-57, 1860-1, 1866-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105182.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Held at Pem.RO
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanstadwell parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Hancock, Simon. William George Aswell, 1845-1918: a Neyland Headmaster (NLW's site) Pemb Historian VII
Hughes, Basil. Jottings on the History of South Pembrokeshire - Llanstadwell Parish pre 1900 . ISBN 1 898687 03 X As well as including many names of people involved with the history of Llanstadwell and Neyland - this also gives information about the Newton/Craddock family of Newton Wear and Angle.
Meyrick, Bette. Behind the Light. 1975 (Hutchinson) 215pp. illus Douglas Hall with b/w drawings. tells of the Morgans family of Neyland early decades 20th cent.
Davies, Desmond N. The End of the Line - A History of Neyland
Hancock, Simon. Neyland and Llanstadwell : in old postcards.Pembrokeshire County Council, 1997. p
Lowe, Vera. Hazelbeach and Llanstadwell . Dyfed Family History Journal 4 (1992), p. 137-42
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at Pem.RO
Hancock, Simon. The 1904/5 Religious Revival at Neyland (NLW's site) Pemb Historian IX
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996