"LLANSTINAN (LLAN-STINAN), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (S. by W.) from Fishguard, containing 168 inhabitants. The name appears to be derived by contraction from the name of the saint (Justinian ) to whom the church is dedicated. The parish is pIeasantly situated near the source of the Western Cleddy river, by which it is separated from that of Fishguard and comprises a large portion of enclosed arable and pasture land: the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and the views from the higher grounds embrace extensive prospects over the adjacent country, which abounds with interesting features. The ancient mansion of the family of Symmons, which had been suffered to remain in a neglected state for some time, has been modernized or rebuilt, and is now the handsome seat of Col. Owen, eldest son of Sir John Owen, Bart., lord lieutenant of the county. The turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Fishguard passes through the parish The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir John Owen, Bart., who is lessee of the tithes under the subchanter in the cathedral church of St. David's. The church is not distinguished by any interesting architectural details. The annual average expenditure for the support of the poor is £50. 4." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Llanstinan Church - on the geograph.org.uk site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Fishguard with Llanstinan and Llanychaer from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Eglwys Llanstinan = Llanstinan Church. Publisher [Abergwaun?] : [Menter Preseli?], [1996?] 1 sheet , plans ; This project was initiated by local communities in North Pembrokeshire and co-ordinated by Menter Preseli.
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back 29 years and that in 1814 there were extant C (1784-1812) M (1788-1812) B (1800-13). The only pre 1813 PR seen by antiquarian J T Evans in 1910 was the 'ragged', now lost, first leaf of M (1788-1812) [NLW Titus and Elizabeth Evans 18]
Parish registers: Christenings (1814-1979), Marriages (1797-1971) Banns (1823-70), Burials (1813-1976) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR M (1788-97) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1804, 1806-7, 1810-35, 1841-53, 1855-67, 1871-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105183.
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanstinan parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Roadside cottage, Llanstinan - on the geograph.org.uk site
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at the NLW;
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996