"LLANTYD (LLAN-ILLTYD), a parish in the hundred of KĪLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Cardigan, containing 281 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Illtyd, an eminent teacher of Christianity, who died about the close of the fifth century. It is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern part of the county, near the separation of the two great roads leading respectively from Cardigan to Fishguard and Haverfordwest, and comprises a large tract of arable and pasture land, of which the whole is enclosed. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing and the views over the adjacent country are agreeably diversified. The living is a vicarage not in charge, annexed, with that of Monington, or Eglwys Wythwr, to the vicarage of St. Dogmael's, in the arch-deaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £200 royal bounty. The church is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. John Jones, in 1729, bequeathed a small sum of money towards the relief of poor persons of this parish not receiving parochial aid, the interest of which is annually distributed according to the will of the testator. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £77. 18." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Dogmael's with Llantwyd and Monington from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1768-93, 1813-1991), Marriages (1813-1968) Banns (1824-6, 1830), Burials (1769-77, 1783-5, 1813-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-81, 1684-7, 1700, 1703, 1705, 1799-1800, 1802-40, 1842, 1844-7, 1849-60, 1865-8, 1870-5, 1896-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105183.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llantood parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996