GENUKI Home page upPembrokeshire ContentsContents

 

LLANYCHAER

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANYCHAER (LLANERCH-AUR), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (S.E.) from Fishguard, containing 176 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated in the northern part of the county, upon the river Gwayn, which falls into the bay of Fishguard. The surface is varied, and in some parts has a very considerable elevation; and of the lands, about one-half only is enclosed. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and from the higher grounds are some fine views over the adjacent country, which presents some pleasing scenery. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 3. 6. 8., endowed with 400 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. James Williams James. The church, dedicated to St. David, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 34. 8." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

LLANYCHAER, St. Mary   1870-1877   - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Fishguard with Llanstinan and Llanychaer from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

Jones, Elsie Parry. Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Glandwr, Llanychaer : canmlwyddiant codi'r capel : 1894-1994. Llanychaer : Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Glandwr, 1994. 28p

Church Records

Civil register (1654-9) at Cardiff Central Library with Mf copy at NLW

Diocesan records suggest that c1790  'the old register [was] lost. The existing register goes back only 2 years'.

Parish register: Christenings (1788-1990), Marriages (1787-1970) Banns (1824-49), Burials (1789-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Copy printed PR C (1788-1812) M (1787-1811) B (1789-1812) [ed Rev J Meredith Williams, Fishguard, 1924]

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1676, 1678-83, 1685-6, 1689, 1705, 1799-1808, 1810-38, 1843-7, 1853-65) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105185.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanychaer  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Tony Morris)

Genealogy

Pembrokeshire Families

Land and Property

Eastham, Michael.  Y Garn, Llanychaer    (NLW's site)   Pemb Historian X

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.