"LLANERCHLLWYDOG (LLANERCH-LWYD-OG), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Fishguard, containing 169 inhabitants. This place derives its name from Clydawc one of the reguli of the county, by whom, according to Mr. Fenton, the church was originally founded, and who, while pursuing the diversion of the chase in this vicinity, was treacherously murdered, and afterwards interred in the churchyard. The parish is romantically situated on the river Gwayn, which, after pursuing a north-westerly course, falls into Fishguard bay: it comprises a large tract of land, with the exception of a mountainous district, is wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is finely undulated, and the surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified and in some parts highly picturesque. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Llanllawer annexed, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of Thomas Lloyd, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. David, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance: in the churchyard are two upright stones of great antiquity, which are supposed to mark the grave of Clydawc. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £56. 1." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Morvil with Pontfaen and Llanychllwydog from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Murphy, Kenneth. Excavations at Llanychlwydog Church, Dyfed. Archaeologia Cambrensis 136 (1987), p. 77-93
Parish register: Christenings (1770-1812), Marriages (1781-1812), Burials (1770-1812) at NLW
Christenings (1813-1927), Marriages (1814-1961), Burials (1813-1965) and Mf CB (1770-1812), M (1781-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy printed BT CMB (1674-5, 1680-9, 1699) & PR C (1770-1803) M (1780-1812) B (1770-1812) [ ed Rev J Meredith Williams, Fishguard, 1925]
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-83, 1685-9, 1799-1804, 1806-7, 1809-44, 1874) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105186.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanychlwydog parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996