"LAWHADEN, or LLEWHADEN (LLAN-HAUA-DEN), a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2miles (N. N. W.) from Narberth, containing 657 inhabitants. . . . The parish comprises a large tract of rich arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The village is situated on the summit of a lofty ridge overhanging the river Cleddy, and commanding a fine view of the adjacent country, which abounds with richly varied scenery; and within the parish are some highly interesting and pleasingly romantic features, among which are, the church, beautifully situated on the margin of the river, under a richly wooded eminence, and the majestic and venerable ruins of the ancient castle immediately above it. . . The church, dedicated to St. Aidan, is an ancient and venerable edifice, with a handsome tower, and in its retired and beautiful situation forms an interesting and romantic feature in the scenery around the village. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. It is in contemplation to establish a National school for the gratuitous instruction of children, in connexion with the parent society in London. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for Gelly Chapel, situated about one mile north of Llawhaden, have been indexed by the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llawhaden with Bletherston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Jones, Hywel T. A brief history of Bethesda Llawhaden .Aberteifi : E. L. Jones a'i Fab, Argraffwyr, [198-?] 27p
Parish registers: Christenings (1653-1980), Marriages (1653-1971) Banns (1823-1930), Burials (1653-1956) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1772, 1799, 1801-77, 1879-81, 1883) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105186.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Llawhaden parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Llawhaden - on Wikipedia
Aerial photograph of Llawhaden Castle, 1994 - on People's Collection Wales
Llawhaden Castle A Castles of Wales site. "Llawhaden Castle is located about 8 miles east of Haverfordwest, just off the A40. Bounded by hedgerows, the narrow approach road into Llawhaden gives no hint that the great bishops once took refuge here."
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
The defended settlements at Llawhaden. Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society vol 1 1985 Welsh Journals Online
Radford, C. A. Ralegh, (Courtenay Arthur Ralegh) .Llawhaden Castle : Dyfed = Castell Llawhaden. Edinburgh : H.M.S.O., 1980. 8p
Turner, Rick. Lamphey Bishop's Palace : Llawhaden Castle : Carswell Medieval House, Carew Cross. Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1991. 52p
Williams, George. Fighting and farming in Iron Age west Wales : excavations at Llawhaden, 1980-1984 [Carmarthen] : Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 1985. 16p.
Cule, John. Some Early Hospitals in Wales and the Border. National Library of Wales journal. 1977, Winter Volume XX/2. Here is the opening section of an extract relating to this parish;
"Pembrokeshire had a number of early hospitals. Nearby the Castle of Llawhaden, bishop Thomas Beck of St. David's had founded in 1287 a hospital dedicated to the Virgin, St. Thomas the Martyr and Edward the Confessor. In 1925 the Historical Monument Commissioners reported that a building used as a stable in a field, still known as Chapel Field, and next to Priory Field on the south, was the remains of the chapel of a mediaeval hospice...."
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996