"LOVESTON, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Narberth, containing 180 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the south-eastern part of the county, and intersected by the turnpike road leading from Pembroke to Carmarthen, comprises a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, the whole of which is enclosed and cultivated. The soil is fertile and productive: the substratum of the parish is stone coal of good quality, but it is not at present worked; and only a small quantity of culm is raised, sufficient for the immediate supply of the inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's rated in the king's books at £4. 5. 5., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Earl Cawdor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £57. 11." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Loveston with Yerbeston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1791-1977), Marriages (1783-1957), Burials (1791-1977) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT (1799-1836) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1820, 1823-36, 1838-64, 1866-9, 1871-3, 1876, 1878, 1880, 1884-5, 1888, 1890-1, 1893-9, 1901-2, 1907-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105187.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Loveston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996