"LUDCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S.E.) from Narberth, containing 228 inhabitants. This parish, which is in the south-eastern part of the county, is pleasantly situated about two miles eastward from the road from Narberth to Tenby. Its surface is uneven, and the soil is of various kinds: the lands are but partially enclosed and cultivated. The substratum is limestone of very superior quality, which is worked upon an extensive scale: this stone is susceptible of a beautiful polish, and many slabs raised from these quarries have been manufactured into elegant mantelpieces, and used for other ornamental purposes: it is also burnt for manure, there being no fewer than six kilns for this purpose in constant operation, for the supply of the more northern parts of the county. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 14. 4 1/2.,and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Elidyr, is a neat and well-built edifice, situated in a bleak part of the parish, on a limestone rock, which has been quarried all round, leaving the sacred fabrick many feet above the level of the adjacent ground. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £39. 3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Elidyr's Church
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Ludchurch with Templeton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1732-1992), Marriages (1732-1971), Burials (1732-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT CMB (1779-1839) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1839, 1842-54, 1857-60, 1865-77) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105187.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Ludchurch parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Old quarry near Ludchurch - on the Cistercian Way site
Ludchurch wills - a database compiled by Owen Vaughan
Evans, A. Eric. Our village : a history of Ludchurch .[Ludchurch?] : [A. Eric Evans?], 1994. 80p
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996