"MANERDIVY (MAENOR-DEIVI), a parish in the hundred of KÎLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W.N.W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, containing 850 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the river Teivy, at the north-eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon Cardiganshire, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Newcastle-Emlyn to Cardigan. It comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation: the surface is finely undulated, and the surrounding scenery, which is enriched with thriving plantations, and enlivened by the course of the river, is generally pleasing and in many parts picturesque. . . Some tinworks were formerly established here, from which a canal communicated with the Teivy below Llêchrhyd bridge, to which place that river is navigable for small craft. . . The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small neat edifice, situated near the river, but not remarkable for any architectural features. There was formerly a chapel of ease at Cîlvawr, in this parish; but it has been in ruins for many years. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Manordeifi Old Church - on the Friends of Friendless Churches site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
A brief historical and general account of Manordeifi Old Church and parish. Manordeifi : [Manordeifi Church?], [196-?] p
Baker-Jones, D L The Pentre Memorial Chapel The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981 Welsh Journals Online
Parish register: Christenings (1724-70, 1780-1992), marriages (1724-1970), Burials (1724-70, 1780-1974) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-9, 1681-2, 1684, 1686-9, 1702-3, 1705, 1799-1856, 1859-75) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Manordeifi parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Howard Thomas)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Held at the NLW ;
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 28 Feb 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996