"MARLAIS (MARLOES), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (W.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 427 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern shore of Muggleswick bay . . . It comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, which, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The village is principally inhabited by fishermen, who obtain a livelihood in the lobster and crab fisheries, which are carried on here to a considerable extent, and by the sale of leeches, which are found in great numbers in a sheet of water covering from sixty to seventy acres, called Marlais Mere, and which, during the summer months, when it is dry, affords excellent pasturage for cattle. . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small edifice, not possessing any architectural details of importance. A former structure, which was dedicated to St. Mary, and situated near the beach, was destroyed by an encroachment of the sea . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Brides and Marloes from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish register: Christenings (1749-51, 1771-1876), Marriages (1749-1969), Burials (1749-51, 1771-1924) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1836, 1838-75, 1877) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Marloes parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Coastland Local History - covers the areas of Dale, St. Ishmael's, St. Brides and Marloes
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.181-184.
Cantrill, T C. The Hut-Circles on Gateholm, Pem, in Archaeologia Cambrensis , 1910, pp 271-82
Thomas, W. Gwyn, (William Gwyn). A cross-decorated stone at Martin's Haven, Marloes, Pembs. Archaeologia Cambrensis 138 (1989), p. 113-14
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996