We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"MARTLETWY, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 725 inhabitants. This place is situated on the Eastern Cleddy, at its junction with the Western Cleddy, and at the commencement of the noble harbour of Milford, which is formed by the union of those rivers. The parish comprises a moderate portion of good arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and cultivated, and a considerable tract abounding with coal and culm, which is worked to a great extent upon the estate of Sir John Owen, Bart. The produce of the collieries is shipped for the supply of distant parts, from a place called Landshipping, on Milford Haven, where an excellent quay has been constructed for that purpose. In this parish was the ancient family seat of the Owens, who by marriage became proprietors of the noble estates originally belonging to the family of Wyrriot. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Mansfield, who is also owner of the great tithes of the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Marcellus. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists, to all of which are attached Sunday schools. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £166.13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464344
  • 1851 Census - 0104231
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850851
  • 1881 Census - 1342302
  • 1891 Census - 6099635


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Martletwy area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Martletwy Church - on the geograph.org site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Martletwy Parish Church               Edmund Edward Allen, Officiating Minister
  • Horeb   Ind                   Erected before 1830, rebuilt in 1842                J W D Thomas, Deacon, Camp's Hill
  • Martletwy chapel           Particular Baptist               Erected before 1830               Thomas Davies, Deacon, Martletwy House, Haverfordwest
  • Burnett's Hill   Welsh Methodist               Erected in 1810         Thomas Owen, Elder, Land Shippin, Haverfordwest

Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Marcellus
  • &
  • St Caradog
  • &
  • Chapel of Ease (Minwear)
  • Incumbent and Curates;E A Weale
  • Rural Deanery of Narberth
  • Acreage 3,331 & 2,502 & 1,956; Population 528

Church Records

Parish register: Christenings (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1760-1850), Marriages (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1762-80, 1813-1971) Banns (1824-78), Burials (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1762-85, 1809-11, 1813-95) at Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1803, 1805-47, 1849-60, 1862-75, 1877-8, 1880-4, 1886-8) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Chapel [Baptists, 1828].          Records ; See Moleston/Narberth parish                             On Dyfed FHS
  • Burnetts Hill , Coedcanlas between Lawrenny and Landshipping [Calvinistic Methodists, 1813]                         On Dyfed FHS
  • Horeb [Independents, 1843]         SN04031087        Built before 1830, rebuilt 1844               Still open 1993          Coflein                 On Dyfed FHS
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Martletwy which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Martletwy parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

  • Martletwy (110); Burnett's Hill, Bush, Highgate, Knaps, Landshipping, Landshipping Ferry, London, Martletwy, New Park, Stangs, Trevane, Tyburn, Vogar, Weston, Whitlow.


Griffiths, John & Mary. GRIFFITHS of CMN and PEM. Dyfed FHS journal (3/333) . Traces the descendants of Isaac Griffiths, miller of Landshipping, and David Griffith, farm labourer of Penboyr, to Merthyr Tydfil in the 19th century.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Martletwy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN035107 (Lat/Lon: 51.760379, -4.848812), Martletwy which are provided by:


Garden Pit Memorial, Landshipping on the Welsh Coal Mines site - 40 miners were drowned in this disaster.

The Landshipping Pit Disaster of 1840 on Jon Mein's site  - 5 miners died in a firedamp explosion

[Gareth Hicks:  3 Dec 2013]