"MARTLETWY, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 725 inhabitants. This place is situated on the Eastern Cleddy, at its junction with the Western Cleddy, and at the commencement of the noble harbour of Milford, which is formed by the union of those rivers. The parish comprises a moderate portion of good arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and cultivated, and a considerable tract abounding with coal and culm, which is worked to a great extent upon the estate of Sir John Owen, Bart. The produce of the collieries is shipped for the supply of distant parts, from a place called Landshipping, on Milford Haven, where an excellent quay has been constructed for that purpose. In this parish was the ancient family seat of the Owens, who by marriage became proprietors of the noble estates originally belonging to the family of Wyrriot. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Mansfield, who is also owner of the great tithes of the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Marcellus. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists, to all of which are attached Sunday schools. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £166.13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Martletwy Church - on the geograph.org site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish register: Christenings (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1760-1850), Marriages (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1762-80, 1813-1971) Banns (1824-78), Burials (1728-31, 1739-45, 1754-8, 1762-85, 1809-11, 1813-95) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1803, 1805-47, 1849-60, 1862-75, 1877-8, 1880-4, 1886-8) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Martletwy parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Griffiths, John & Mary. GRIFFITHS of CMN and PEM. Dyfed FHS journal (3/333) . Traces the descendants of Isaac Griffiths, miller of Landshipping, and David Griffith, farm labourer of Penboyr, to Merthyr Tydfil in the 19th century.
Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.
Garden Pit Memorial, Landshipping on the Welsh Coal Mines site - 40 miners were drowned in this disaster.
The Landshipping Pit Disaster of 1840 on Jon Mein's site - 5 miners died in a firedamp explosion
[Gareth Hicks: 3 Dec 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996