"MELINEY, or MELINAU, a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S.W. by S.) from Cardigan, containing 492 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the northern part of the county, close to the road leading from Cardigan to Fishguard, and is intersected by the great road from the former to Haverfordwest. The greater part of it is enclosed and cultivated, and the remainder consists of barren heath and stony common, forming a portion of the Precelley mountain. The soil in that part of the parish which is enclosed is tolerably fertile. The surrounding scenery, though not greatly diversified, is enriched with some branches of the river Nevern, which flow through the parish; and the adjoining country is not destitute of interest. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the alternate patronage of Thomas Lloyd, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and the freeholders in the parish, who have the next presentation. There are some ancient mansions in various parts of the parish, within the limits of which also are some remains of a circular encampment, called Penybenglog, defended by a single rampart. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £140. 7." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Eglwyswrw and Meline from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1702-1989), Marriages (1702-1955) Banns (1824-86, 1982-9), Burials (1702-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR CB (1702-1812) M (1702-54) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1679-81, 1683-4, 1686-7, 1689-90, 1692, 1700, 1799-1809, 1811-17, 1819-30, 1832-40, 1842, 1844-7, 1849-52, 1855, 1857-9, 1862-4, 1869, 1873-4,.1876, 1878-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105189.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Meline parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Grimes, Yvonne. PEREGRINE of Meline. Dyfed FHS journal,1996 The derivation of a working hypothesis to show that Daniel Michael and Daniel Peregrine were one and the same person, in the mid 18th century, the son of Michael John, alias Michael Peregrine .
Lewis, E.T. North of the hills; a history of the parishes of Eglwyswen, Eglwyswrw, Llanfair Nantgwyn, Meline, Nevern. (1973) viii, 309,  p.,  p. of plates. illus., facsims., map, ports. [ISBN: 0902126032]
Mytum, H. C. (Harold C.) . The pottery from Penpedwast Farm, Meline, Dyfed . Medieval and Later Pottery in Wales (Bulletin of the Welsh Medieval Pottery Research Group) 8 (1985), p. 40-8
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996