"MYNWERE (MINWEAR), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Narberth, containing 161 inhabitants. This parish, from a mistaken etymology of its name, which was read Mwyn Aur, signifying "a gold mine," was supposed to have contained gold-ore, and some fruitless attempts were in consequence made to discover it. The name is, however, with greater probability, supposed to be derived from a weir on the Eastern Cleddy, on the banks of which river the parish is situated, which was noted for the abundance of fish taken there during the season. The parish comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified with wood and water, there being an extensive plantation on the north-eastern boundary of the parish; and the views over the adjacent country are not destitute of interest. Picton Castle, with its rich and well-wooded grounds, appears to much advantage on the other side of the Cleddy, together with Slebech Hall and its demesne. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Hon. Baron de Rutzen, of Slebech Hall. The church is dedicated to St. Wonan. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £45. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1891 census for this parish has been transcribed by G J Davies.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1753-81, 1813-1987), Marriages (1757-1810, 1813-1935), Burials (1753-1807, 1813-1991) at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR C (1795-1812) B (1784-1812) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1818, 1820-1, 1823-41, 1844, 1849, 1851-3, 1855-9, 1872, 1874-6, 1879-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105190.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Minwear parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996