"NICHOLAS' (ST.), otherwise MONKTON, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, adjoining the town of Pembroke, and containing 1128 inhabitants. . . The parish, which is bounded on the north by a creek of Milford Haven, extending up to the town of Pembroke, is situated to the south-west of that borough, and comprises a considerable tract of land, which is wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The soil is in general fertile, and the inhabitants, with the exception of those only of the village of Monkton, are wholly employed in agriculture. The surrounding scenery is finely diversified, and the views, extending over the sea and the adjacent country, abound with interest. . . The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, formerly the conventual church of the priory, and all that remains of that establishment, is an ancient and venerable structure, partly in the Norman, and partly in the early English, style of architecture, with a Lady chapel at the eastern end, now roofless, but having four handsome windows on the southern side, and one in the eastern end. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Monkton Rectorial Benefice
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Monkton (otherwise St Nicholas, Pembroke) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Bowen, David. Monkton Priory Church, Pembroke : [an account of the architectural features of the church, and an appeal for the restoration fund] . Pembroke : Harris & Co., printers,  7p
CMB (1711-50) entered in PR Pembroke, St Mary
Parish registers: Christenings (1748-1966), Marriages (1748-1970) Banns (1917-36), Burials (1748-1900) at Pem.RO
CMB (1711-50) at NLW
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, ?1774, 1799-1807, 1809-82) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105190.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Hundleton [formed out of Monkton]
Parish registers: Christenings (1897-1935), Marriages (1954-70), Burials (1897-1959) at Pem.RO
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Monkton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson (151) & Gareth Hicks (152))
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Griffiths, Bill. Pembrokeshire Name-changers No's 4/5. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 5/9 April 1997. The Meyrick family of the Bush Estate, Pembroke, and the Owen family of Orielton.
Jones, Francis Owen of Orielton The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 5 1974 Welsh Journals Online
Miles, Dillwyn. Lord of Orielton, 1781-1859 (NLW's site) Pemb Historian XIV
Phillips, John Roland . Memoirs of the ancient family of Owen of Orielton, co : Pembroke.London : Printed at the Chiswick press, 1886. 2 p.l., 92,  p ;
Maiden Wells War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Hughes, Basil. Jottings and Historical Records with Index on the History of South Pembrokeshire - Monkton Parish pre 1900 . ISBN 1 898687 05 6 . Includes public and ecclesiastical records as well as information on people connected to the parish
Hughes, Basil Jottings Pembrokeshire Monkton Hundleton & Orielton [Kindle Edition 2013]
Taxes from Pembrokeshire. A database of Land Tax Return data 1342 -1842, compiled by Owen Vaughan; the entries predominately relate to Oriel surnames and/or Monkton parish
Sale of the Orielton Estate in 1856 "A rare insight into large parts of Milford/Hwest and Pembroke in-between the census of 1851 and 1861. When the huge Orielton estate was broken up for auction all the tenants needed to be identified together with the farms etc they rented and lived worked on. Details are given of individual Farms, Houses, Cottages, Pubs, Shops, Mills, Ferries and Collieries. Names of tenants and their successors and rents paid. Areas covered are the Parishes of Monkton, Hundelton, St Mary and St Michael Pembroke, Pwllcrochan, Rhoscrowther, Angle. Martletwy, Coedcanlas, Steynton, Langum, Puncheston, Morvil, Castlebythe, Nevern, Reynalton, Begelly, Burton, St Twynnells, Hodgeston and St Mary Haverfordwest."
An alphabetical Index of the names of tenants can be see on the CenQuest site, plus details of a Cd of a digitised version of the original document
Held at the NLW ;
Lockley, Ronald . Orielton. 1977 (Deutsch). 332pp. maps. illus. Tunnicliffe
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996