We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"NARBERTH, a newly created borough, market town, and parish, comprising the North and South divisions, each of which separately maintains its own poor, in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 14 1/2 miles (N.E.) from Pembroke, and 254 (W.) from London, containing 2589 inhabitants, of which number, 1852 are in the North, and 737 in the South, division. . . The town is pleasantly situated on an eminence above a narrow valley, a little to the eastward of the Eastern Cleddy river, and in the northern division of the parish: it consists principally of three narrow streets diverging obliquely from the market-place, which is in the centre. The houses are irregularly built and of mean appearance; and the town, which is neither paved nor lighted, and is indifferently supplied with water, fails in realizing the expectations which the distant view of it excites. . . The surrounding scenery is richly varied and beautifully picturesque. The southern portion of the parish produces abundance of excellent limestone, of which great quantities are burnt for the supply of the surrounding neighbourhood, and a considerable portion is quarried for building, some of which, from its being susceptible of a fine polish, is manufactured into mantel-pieces of great beauty. . . The church, dedicated to St. Andrew . . is a very neat edifice, in the later style of English architecture. . . There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • James of Narberth, solicitors, collection   1814-1914     "James of Narberth, solicitors, was a firm based in Pembrokeshire during the 19th and 20th centuries. The firm dealt with land in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, as well as legal disputes........."   
  • J. C. Williams and Roberts deeds  " J.C. Williams and Roberts was a firm of solicitors of Carmarthen and Whitland, Carmarthenshire. They incorporated the firm of Roberts and Mathias, of Narberth Pembrokeshire, which comprised John Roberts and Douglas Leslie Roberts, of Hill House, Narberth, and Thomas Bentley Mathias, from whom they acquired many records relating to porperties in the area."   
  • Lewis and James, solicitors, of Narberth records  1633-1972     "Messrs Lewis and James, solicitors, of Narberth, Pembrokseshire, was set up in 1895 by Thomas Lewis. Walter James joined the firm in 1902, and it became Lewis and James. The partners acted as clerks to many local bodies, including the Court of Petty Sessions, Narberth Cattle Market and Fairs Co. Ltd, Narberth and District Development Association, Narberth Gas Company and the Independent Order of Rechabites, Narberth branch; ...............................".

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 1818103

Pembrokeshire County Council - Burial Record Search facility and also a Search facility for the Parc Gwyn Crematorium Book of Remembrance


Indexes to the 1841 and to the 1851 census for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464344
  • 1851 Census - 0104231
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850851
  • 1881 Census - 1342302
  • 1891 Census - 6099634/5


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Narberth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Bethesda Chapel, Narberth

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Andrew's Parish Church, Narberth Westend                 Wm Lloyd, Rector
  • Tabernacle  Ind              Erected in 1815                 John Lewis, Deacon, Draper
  • Nebo  CM                 Erected in 1843      "The School is kept in the morning"          John Evans, Manager
  • Bethesda, High St, Narberth              Particular Baptist          Erected in 1837      Benjn. Thomas, Minister, Whitley, nr Narberth
  • Wesleyan chapel, Sheep St                     Erected in 1811                    Joseph Davies, Chapel Steward, Currier
  • Templeton   Ind                     Erected in 1819              William Thomas, Deacon, Templeton
  • Moleston           P.Baptists           Erected in 1763, rebuilt on the site in 1842       David Phillips, Baptist Minister, Malerton

Parish entry for Narberth with Robeston Walthen and Mounton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Andrew
  • &
  • Chapel of Ease (Robeston Wathen)
  • &
  • Chapel of Ease (Mounton)
  • Incumbent and Curates; W Evans (J R Williams)
  • Rural Deanery of Narberth
  • Acreage 3,468 & 1,425; Population 1,944

Evans, David Tyssil. The life and ministry of the Rev. Caleb Morris who was Minister of the Tabernacle, Narberth, and of Fetter Lane Chapel, London.   London : Alexander and Shepheard, Ltd., 1902,388p

Church Records

Parish registers; Christenings (1676-1703, 1762-1918), Marriages (1676-1703, 1754-1808, 1811-1964) Banns (1811-42, 1896-1966), Burials (1676-1703, 1762-1898) at Pem.RO with fac (1676-1845) at NLW

Copy ts PR[extracts] C (1681-1844, 1854-84) M (1756-1837) at NLW

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1801, 1803, 1805, 1807-67, 1872-3) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105192.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethesda, High St, Narberth village [Baptists, 1808]. Records ;  1. Births 1807-37, at PRO RG4/3963, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 819966, IGI.   2. Births, 1807-48, at Pem RO                      SN10861466         Built 1808, modified, altered or rebuilt 1826, 1837 and 1889                    Still open 1998         Coflein               On Dyfed FHS  
  • Moleston, in Moleston-west of Templeton  [Baptists, 1763]. Records ; births, 1787-1837, at PRO RG4/3964, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 819966, IGI.    On Dyfed FHS  
  • Rushacre Baptist Meeting House, Narberth                      On Dyfed FHS  
  • Nebo, in Narberth village  [Calvinistic Methodists, possibly c 1750s].                SN1014           Built 1843            Coflein
  • Tabernacle, in Narberth village [Independents, 1817]. Tabernacle Lane, Narberth             Records ; See Henllan Chapel                      On Dyfed FHS  
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Jan 2009)
  • Old chapel (Ind), Tabernacle Lane, Narberth          (See Wesleyan chapel below )          On Dyfed FHS  
  • Templeton, Chapel St, Templeton [Independents, 1819].           Records ; See Bethel and Sardi's Chapels         SN11341193  built 1819, rebuilt in 1839 & 1879  Still open 1993    Coflein     On Dyfed FHS [United Reform, Templeton, under latter name]
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
  • Chapel , in Narberth town [Wesleyan Methodists, 1811]. Sheep St / St James's St          Records ; births and bapts, Pembroke Circuit, 1847-68 ; Tenby Circuit, 1868-1961. Other circuit records, such as accounts, minute books, Sunday School papers etc are also deposited at Pem RO.       SN11131472            Shown as Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on OS 1/2500 (1890). By OS 1/2500 (1904) described as County Sessions Room; later Public Library    Coflein            On Dyfed FHS  
  • Wesleyan chapel, Station Rd, Narberth                  On Dyfed FHS  
  • Old chapel, (Wesleyan), Tabernacle Lane, Narberth                SN11071461             Built 1815, converted to Sunday School when new chapel built close by in 1858, by 1890 replacement chapel had become Congregationalist  (see above)            Not open 1993  Coflein
  • Pentecostal chapel, Back Lane, Narberth          SN109148      Victorian building              Not still open 1993      Coflein     
  • Church of the Immaculate Conception (Roman Catholic), Narberth         On Dyfed FHS  

Templeton [Tredeml] [formed out of Narberth in 1862]
Parish registers: CMB (1862-) with incumbent
BTs: 1863, 1865-7 at NLW

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Narberth which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Narberth parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

  • Narberth North (115); Blackaldern, Blackmoor Hill, Bellman's Well, Bloomfield, Bryn Hill, Camp Hill, Canaston Wood, Captain Style, Cilrath-fach, Cilrath-fawr, Cox Hill, Narberth, Narberth Bridge, Pont Shan, Redstone Bank, Redstone Cross, Rushacre, The Valley, Sodston Ho., Woodfield.
  • Narberth South (116); Chapel Hill, Cold Blow, Coursehill Fm., Great Molleston Fm., Merryvale, Molleston Cross, Narberth Mountain, P.A.Inst., Rose Down, Sentence (Antiquity), Templeton, The Grove (Antiquity), Wood Cross.

Griffiths, Pauline & Ann Keen. Narberth : images of the past Gomer , Llandysul, 1999. Gomer 2002 catalogue (1 85902 744 X). A photographic collection.


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are Extracts for Narberth

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844 . Here are Extracts for Narberth & Neighbourhood


Pembrokeshire Families

The People's Collection Wales site has material for Narberth, use the onsite search box

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Narberth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Narberth - Part of a Greater Domain.  by Richard Williams ; "For many medieval generations the House of Marshall, headed by the earls of Pembroke, was one of the most powerful families serving the English crown. Indeed, William Marshall....... was the regent of England .......... Rivalling these achievements, however, was another noble house. The family is more generally associated with the territory in and around the English/Welsh border, The March. However, it did hold sway in part of Pembrokeshire for a long period within its own ascendant years. The house in question was the house of Mortimer, and its part of the county was Narberth......"

Narberth Castle-a  Castles of Wales  site


Ludlow, Neil. The castle and lordship of Narberth  (NLW's site)  Pemb Historian XII

The story of Narberth : The Narberth Society, 1990. 36p Includes index.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Slebech Estate records    Include " ...... Slebech Estate records, comprising: title deeds, 1774; manorial records, Manor of Narberth, 1759-1834 and other manors, 1816-1836; Narberth Fair toll house accounts and books, 1761-1833; leases and tenancy agreements, 1763-1835; rentals, 1770-1914; Narberth Market and market house papers, 1831-1836........."


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN109146 (Lat/Lon: 51.797953, -4.743842), Narberth which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

The Narberth Union Abstract and List of Paupers;
Period: bi-annual reports from half year ending 25/3/1872 to 25/3/1881 (most but not all reports have survived)
Scope: Reports list ALL paupers by parish of residence receiving  outdoor relief together with amount received and reason; ALL paupers in  receipt in indoor relief; paupers in Joint Lunatic Asylum at Carmarthen; paupers in receipt of clothing allowance. PRO catalogue ref:  HDX 1026/1

Narberth Union Workhouse  - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Narberth Poor Law Union, records  1837-1937

John, Mary.   A sacking matter in Narberth   (NLW's site)  Pemb Historian XIII

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • H. M. Customs and Excise, records of Haverfordwest District Station and Narberth District Station    "Public Records of H. M. Customs and Excise, relating to Pembrokeshire, including leases, 1800-1849; general warehouse bonds [ c. 1775]-1866; letter books, 1915-1951; expenses register, Haverfordwest District Station, 1941-1942; register of private brewers, Haverfordwest Station, 1959-1962; and letter books, Narberth District Station, 1925-1947"   
  • Magistrates' Courts and Petty Sessions, records, Pembrokeshire  Include  "......... Narberth Petty Sessions records, 1885-1996.........."
  • Narberth Rural District Council, records   1894-1974  
  • Narberth Urban District Council, records  1902-1974


The People's Collection Wales site has material for Narberth, use the onsite search box


Davies, Wynford.  Narberth County Intermediate School, 1895-1924 National Library of Wales journal, Vol XXIII/1, Summer 1983

Social life and Customs

The People's Collection Wales site has material for Narbreth, use the onsite search box

Cule, John. Some Early Hospitals in Wales and the Border. National Library of Wales journal. 1977, Winter Volume XX/2. Here is an extract relating to this parish;
"There may have been a hospice of the Templars in the lordship of Narberth. The modern church of St. John in the village of Templeton was built on the site of an older building, which had earlier been used as an Unitarian Meeting House. The Knights of the Temple, who gave the village its name of Templar's Town, may have possessed land here. When the Templars were suppressed in 1308, their estates were sequestrated and transferred to the Hospitallers of St. John. At this time Templeton passed to the Mortimers of Narberth."

Rochester, Mary. My father was a Narberth man : recollections of a boyhood in the 1890s . Northwich : Greenridges Press, 1998. 18 p.[Wheeler, Thomas Benjamin--Childhood and youth]

Voting Registers

Voting Registers for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 0104322

[Gareth Hicks: 4 Jan 2015]