"NEWTON, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Narberth, containing 42 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the road leading from Tenby, by Canaston bridge, to Haverfordwest, and on the left bank of the Eastern Cleddy, comprises but a moderate area, of which the greater part is enclosed and cultivated, and of the remainder one half is uncultivated, and the other woodland: the surface is agreeably diversified, and the scenery enriched with thriving woods. In some parts the parish abounds with iron-stone; and there were formerly some extensive iron-works carried on with great success at Black Pool, in this parish, on the banks of the Eastern Cleddy, where is still the shipping-place for the town of Narberth, which afforded employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants, but they have been discontinued for several years. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Charles Deeds, Esq. The church, which is situated at a small distance from the village, possesses no architectural details of interest. An average annual expenditure of £67. 7. is applied for the support of the poor." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1891 census for this parish has been transcribed by G J Davies.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Slebech with Newton North from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
The church was a ruin by 1900. CB (1784-1812) M (1757-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1816-90), Marriages (1814-53), Burials (1815-60) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1813-17, 1819, 1821-3, 1825, 1827-30, 1832-3, 1843, 1856-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105194.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Newton North parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996