"NOLTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 208 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the eastern shore of St. Bride's bay, and comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which was enclosed under the provisions of an act of parliament in 1759. The surface is varied and in some parts hilly; the soil is in general productive, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Stone, of a quality not inferior to that of Portland, abounds in the parish, and some quarries have been opened, which might have been worked to great advantage, had due care been taken to find out the proper stratum. . . The church is dedicated to St. Madoc: there was formerly a chapel of ease at the village of Drewson, but it has been for some time in ruins. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Nolton with Roch from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR earliest date given as 1695 in 1831
Parish registers: Christenings (1704-1991), Marriages (1704-1967) Banns (1825-1996), Burials (1704-1991) at Pem.RO
Facsimile M (1814-1924) at NLW
Copy ts PR CB (1695?-1736, 1751-1812) M (1695?-1736, 1781-1812) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1800, 1802-5, 1807-61, 1863-8, 1871-85) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105194.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Nolton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996