We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"PENALLEY (PENALEY), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (S.W. by W.) from Tenby, containing 333 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the south-eastern extremity of the county, and on the shore of the Bristol channel, comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, of which, with the exception only of a very small tract of common, the whole is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. . . The parish abounds with limestone, which is quarried upon an extensive scale: part of it is exported to the coast of Devonshire, and part is burnt into lime for manure, for the supply of the neighbourhood. . . The church is an ancient cruciform structure, and has been recently repaired and enlarged by the erection of a gallery containing sixty additional sittings . . . The vicarage-house is an elegant building, surrounded with beautiful gardens, and commanding some fine marine views . . . A neat and commodious school-house has been built also at the expense of the incumbent, in which about sixty children of both sexes are gratuitously instructed . . . Caldey Island is within the limits of this parish, for all ecclesiastical purposes." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.  

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104233
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850853
  • 1881 Census - 1342303
  • 1891 Census - 6099638


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Penally area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Penally Parish Church               "As the Church is now being restored........."           John Hughes, Minister

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Nicholas
  • Incumbent and Curates; E Lincoln Lewis
  • Rural Deanery of Castlemartin
  • Acreage  2,405  ; Population 540

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1738-86, 1792-1991), Marriages (1739-51, 1754-1966) Banns (1824-90), Burials (1738-86, 1792-1993) at Pem.RO

Facsimile C  (1738-86) M (1738-1890) B (1738-86, 1813-1936) at NLW

Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1806, 1809-73, 1875, 1877, 1890-2) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105199.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Tabernacle Ind (UR) chapel, Penally         SS11719902          Built 1887  Still open 1993   Coflein                       On Dyfed FHS

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Penally which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Penally parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

  • Penally (139); Bubbleton, Holloway Fm., Hoyle's Mouth, Manor Ho. (Antiquity), Palmerslake Fm., Proud Giltar, Robertswall Fm., Tarr Fms., The Burrows, The Marshes, The Ridgeway, Trefloyne Whitewell (Antiquity).
  • Caldey Island (141);  Caldy Point; Chapel Point; Den Point; Drinkim; Eel Point; High Cliff; Monastery; Priory; Priory Bay; Sandtop Bay; Sandy Bay; Small Ord Point; Spur Island; Star Cliff; West Beacon Point;
  • St Margaret's Island (140); No names

Howells, Roscoe. Caldey's Changing Scene  (NLW's site)  Pemb Historian XI


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833, together with that for Caldey Island.


Pembrokeshire Families


Hughes, John. LEWIS of Caldey Island. Dyfed FHS journal.The difficulties encountered in researching the parents of a reputed orphan and also those of her husband after migrating to Glamorganshire.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Dr William Thomas (Penally) Papers    1914-1981    "Dr William Thomas (1890-1974) from Penally, Pembrokeshire, was Chief Inspector of Schools in Wales and Director of the Council of Social Service for Wales and Monmouthshire. He was a prisoner of war in Germany. .............................."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Penally has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Davies, Margaret. Spotlight on Penally. Dyfed FHS journal, vol 8/3 August 2003

Davies, Margaret. A Murder of Crows [The Story of Penally]. ISBN 09540428. Author, 2001. 175 p, 70+ illustrations. Covers a 500 year history of the village. Here is also an index by Margaret of personal names appearing in the book . Margaret is prepared to do lookups on her extensive database as detailed below - contact her via the Pembrokeshire Mailing List .

  • Electoral lists 1886,1892, 1923, 1932, 1938, 1945, and 1997.
  • Census 1841, 1851, and 1881
  • Hearth Tax 1670
  • Court Rolls 1601, 1609, 1618, 1692 and 1726
  • Land Tax 1786, 1791 and 1842
  • Apprentices from Dyfed in 17th and 18th century
  • Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Church
  • School Records from 1865 to 1991
  • Owners of property and biographical notes over the last 400 yrs.

Howells, Roscoe. Total Community. Gomer, Llandysul. (1 85902 106 9). Gomer 2002 Catalogue;- "This lively and accessible book recounts the trials and tribulations of those who came from Chimay in Belgium to establish the Cistercian community on the island of Caldey in 1929.........."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Picton Castle Estate Records     "Including ..... manorial records of the manors of Manorbier, Penally, etc., 1601-1851........."  
  • Philipps family, of Picton Castle, manorial records    Including "...... Manor of Penally, 1785-1926........"

Held at the NLW ;

  • Deeds [donated by Major Saurin, Penally] relating mainly to co Pembroke especially Jones of Cilwendeg and the Saurin family, 1625-1882, include documents relating to the Skerries lighthouse, Anglesey, 1730-1847.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS117992 (Lat/Lon: 51.659914, -4.723922), Penally which are provided by:


Held at Pem.RO

  • Penally logbooks 1873-1982
  • Penally admission register 1868-1996

[Gareth Hicks:  30 Dec 2012]