"PENRIETH (PEN-RHYDD), a parish in the hundred of KĪLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S.S.E.) from Cardigan, containing, with the chapelry of Castellan, 346 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a mountainous district in the northeastern part of the county, and comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which, though light and poor, is enclosed and cultivated, and a considerable tract of unenclosed moor land, unsusceptible of profitable culture. The lofty mountain called Vrenni-Vawr, which, with only one exception, is the highest in the county, is comprehended within the limits of the parish. The surrounding scenery is bold and striking, but contains few features either of pleasing or picturesque beauty. The living is a discharged rec-tory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Cristiolus, is not remarkable for any architectural peculiarities. Within the parish is a chapel called Castellan, now in ruins, on account of which the incumbent receives one guinea per annum from Sir R.B.P. Philipps, of Picton Castle, Bart. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £9. 1." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Clydey and Penrieth with Castellan from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CB (1771-97) M (1755-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1959), Marriages (1813-1970), Burials (1813-1973) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674, 1676, 1679-85, 1688-9, 1702-3, 1705, 1799, 1802-13, 1815-29, 1832-6, 1838-9, 1842-59, 1866, 1869-71, 1876-80, 1882) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105200.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Castellan [an ancient chapelry in Penrith parish, no separate PR ]
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
"CASTELLAN, a chapelry in the parish of PENRITH, hundred of KĪLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Cardigan, containing 127 inhabitants. It forms an extensive portion of the parish, and is situated at the northern foot of the Vrenni-Vawr mountain, the second in height in the county. The chapel is in ruins, but the incumbent of the parish receives a small annual payment of one guinea from Sir R.B.P. Philipps, Bart., of Picton Castle." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Places, villages, farms etc within Penrith parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May & Gareth Hicks)
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996