"PUNCHESTON, a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (N.N.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 326 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called "Castell Mael," probably from an ancient encampment, of which there are still some remains, comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, the greater portion enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is boldly undulated, in some parts rising into mountainous elevations and the soil is various, but in the low grounds fertile and productive. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. James Williams James. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is not remarkable for any architectural details. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists; and the Society of Friends had formerly a place of interment in this parish. The remains of the ancient encampment above noticed occupy the summit of a rocky eminence, inaccessible on one side by the precipitous steepness of the acclivity, and defended on the other sides by a deep intrenchment. The Rev. --- Gambold, father of Bishop Gambold, and the compiler of a Welsh, Latin, and English Dictionary, was for some years rector of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £51. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Puncheston with Little Newcastle from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Civil register (1653-9) at Cardiff Central Library with Mf at NLW.
PR M 1813-37 recorded in 1933 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1789-1807, 1813-1985), Marriages (1797-1810, 1838-1967), Burials (1789-1807, 1813-1974) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-6, 1678-83, 1686, 1688, 1799, 1801-4, 1806-7, 1809-11, 1813-43, 1845-8, 1852-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105185.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Puncheston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
Aerial photograph of Summerton Iron Age hillfort, Puncheston, 1990 - on the People's Collection Wales site
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996