"PWLLCROCHON (PWLL-CROCHAN), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Pembroke, containing 174 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of Milford Haven, and comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, of which, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, the whole is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. Limestone abounds within its limits, and some of the inhabitants are employed in the quarries, which are worked on a moderate scale. . . The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a venerable structure, in the decorated style of English architecture, erected in the fourteenth century by Radulph Beneger, then rector of the parish . . . There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. John Meares, Esq., of Istington, in this parish, in 1763, charged his estates in Pembrokeshire with the payment of £12 per annum for the instruction of twelve poor boys of this and the adjoining parish of Rhoscrowther, the schoolroom, which had been previously built by that gentleman, is kept in repair by his successors, who, with the rector for the time being, have the nomination of the children. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Rhoscrowther with Pwllcrochan from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1695-1976), Marriages (1695-1811, 1815-36, 1839-1956) Banns (1886-1940), Burials (1695-1982) at NLW
MF copies Christenings (1695-1976), Marriages (1695-1811, 1815-36, 1839-1956) Banns (1886-1940), Burials (1695-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1810, 1812-21, 1823-91) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105201.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
St Mary's Church, Pwllcrochan. Memorial Inscriptions
Places, villages, farms etc within Pwllcrochan parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.
Hughes, Basil. Jottings Pembrokeshire Angle,Bangeston, Eastington,Pwllcrochan and Rhoscrowther Parishes [Kindle Edition 2013]
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Aug 2013]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996