"SPITTAL, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 452 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the Western Cleddy, which forms its boundary on the west, and intersected by the turnpike roads leading from Haverfordwest to Cardigan and Fishguard respectively, comprises a considerable portion of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and cultivated. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of John Lort Philipps, Esq., and William Edwards Tucker, Esq., the former of whom has two turns, and the latter one. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Presbyterians. There are several remains of ancient encampments in the parish, which are here called "Rhâths:" of these, one occupies the summit of a conical hill which rises abruptly in the vale: the area, which is nearly circular, is enclosed by a single rampart. Near it was a chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard, which, together with the church of Rudbaxton, was granted by Alexander Rudebac to the commandery of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem, at Slebech. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £122.15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Spittal with Treffgarne from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1754-1991), Marriages (1783-1971) Banns (1806-79), Burials (1754-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1803, 1813-16, 1818-19, 1823-7, 1849-66) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105210.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Spittal parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
Spittal - on Wikipedia
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Cule, John. Some Early Hospitals in Wales and the Border. National Library of Wales journal. 1977, Winter Volume XX/2. Here is an extract relating to this parish;
"The village of Spittal, near Haverfordwest, contains one of the earliest known grants to the Hospitallers in Wales. The Church of St. Leonard and the Castle of Ros was given to them by Alexander Rudepac, lord of Rudbaxton, before 1148."
[Gareth Hicks: 27 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996