GENUKI Home page up St David's Contents Contents

 

Pigot & Co. South Wales directory for 1844

The information  below relating to St David's and Solva was extracted  by Denise Robinson from the CD of the same title published by Archive CD Books.

SAINT DAVID'S AND SOLVA.

St. DAVID'S

.....is a city and the See of a bishop, in the hundred of Dewisland, and county of Pembroke, 266 miles w. from London, 16 N.W. from Haverfordwest, and the like distance S.W. from Fishguard. It is the most westerly town of all South Wales, situated about a mile and a half from the sea, near the promontory, called St. David's Head, from which, on a clear day, the coast of Ireland may be distinctly seen. This is a place of little or no consideration in the way of trade and manufactures it has none, the inhabitants being chiefly employed in agriculture. Although a city, and at one time of high importance in its ecclesiastical character, its present appearance is far from prepossessing the stranger in its favour, and but two structures remain from which any idea can be formed of its original grandeur-these are its cathedral, and the beautiful and extensive ruins of its archiepiscopal palace. The architecture of the cathedral is a mixture of the Saxon and Norman styles; the whole length of the edifice, within the walls, is three hundred and seven feet. That part of the interior of Saxon design is of very early date; and to this day shews the effect of an earthquake which happened in 1248, and cracked the building from top to bottom. The church contains many ancient monuments; among others those to the memory of the Earl of Richmond, father of Henry VII, and Owen Tudor, his grandfather. St. David translated the metropolitan see of Wales from Caerleon hither, in the sixth century, and such it continued to the reign of Henry I. The other places of worship are, four chapels for dissenters; and the charities are a free grammar school and a charity school, both principally supported by the Chapter and other members of the cathedral.

The market, which is entitled to be held on Wednesday, has all but fallen into disuse; and the fairs, of which there are four, are unimportant. The parish of Saint David comprises the hamlets of Clych-Byehan, Clych-Gwylod-y-Wlad, Clych-Mawr, and Clych-y-dee, containing in 1831 2,388 inhabitants; and in 1841, 2,445.

SOLVA

......is a small sea-port, in the parish of Whitchurch, in the same hundred and county as St. David's, four miles east from that city. The scenery around here is highly romantic, and the air is very salubrious. The port has a small trade in the export of corn and butter, and importation of culm and limestone. There is no church here, though there are several dissenting chapels. A small market is held on Friday. Population of Whitchurch parish, in 1831, 1,028; and in 1841, 1,120.

POST OFFICE, ST DAVID'S, Henry Stephens, Post Master.-Letters from all parts arrive (from HAVERFORDWEST) every morning (Sunday excepted) at half -past seven, and are despatched thereto every afternoon at four.

POST OFFICE, SOLVA, Henry O. Thomas, Post Master.-Letters from all parts arrive (from HAVERFORDWEST) every morning (Sunday excepted) at seven, and are despatched thereto every afternoon at five.

GENTRY AND CLERGY.

ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.

AGENTS

BLACKSMITHS.

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.

BUTTER MERCHANT.

CARPENTERS & JOINERS.

COOPERS.

CORN, SEED AND GENERAL MERCHANTS.

FIRE, &c. OFFICE AGENTS.

GROCERS, DRAPERS, AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES.

INNS.

(See also Taverns & Public Houses.)

LIME BURNERS

MALTSTERS.

MILLERS.

MILLINERS AND DRESS MAKERS.

PAINTERS & GLAZIERS.

STONE MASONS.

SURGEONS.

TAILORS.

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.

TIMBER MERCHANTS.

WHEELWRIGHTS.

MISCELLANEOUS.

CARRIERS.

CONVEYANCE BY WATER.

Return to top of page

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional