St Dogmaels Contents
The information below relating to St Dogmells was extracted by Gareth Hicks from the CD of the same title published by Archive CD Books. (May 2003)
St Dogmells, or Dogmaels, is a scattered village, one mile from Cardigan; seated on the side of a hill on the banks of the Tivie, in a fertile part of the country, and surrounded by numerous orchards, the produce of which forms a trade of consequence to the inhabitants. This place was once noted for its Abbey, the which, from the specimens of arches and ornamental mouldings in the existing remnants of the choir, as well as foundations and other fragments of buildings to be traced, must have been a splendid building, and covered a considerable space.
The parish church is erected on the site, and partly out of its ruins. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the King; the Rev H J Vincent is the present vicar.
The population of St Dogmells consists (at this period 1830) of between 700 and 800 inhabitants.
Post --- Letters are forwarded to and received from Cardigan daily.
Gentry and Clergy
Shopkeepers & Traders
[Gareth Hicks, 27 May 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996